Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Singing the Lows

Last night after watching the Bucket List, which is an excellent movie if accompanied by a box of tissues, i decided to to watch some funny clips to cheer me up. I was feeling kind of light headed but didn't feel that it was anything serious...moments later my eyes became heavy and I felt so weak. I managed to tell my husband that I wasn't feeling good, and asked if he can bring me some juice. He ran to the kitchen to bring me juice, and once that cup was in my hand I took a few sips and then just crashed. I didn't have any energy or power to lift that cup to my lips. I managed to get a few words out of my mouth. At this point I am shaking...I force myself with all my power to take that cup to my mouth. After 5 min. I finally asked for my meter....but here is where the story gets interesting...I am trying to load my machine with a strip when all of a sudden the strips fall out everywhere, and I just burst into tears at this point I think my husband just felt sorry for me while I sat there crying my eyes out he starts to cradle me and helps me check my blood sugar which was close to 2.2 (Note: average blood sugar= 4-7) ... it's quite funny now that I that i think about it...why was I weeping? Well I guess that is what's happens when your brain gets cloudy I can honestly say that...last night made me feel so hopeless, and that feeling is the worst feeling in the world. When things happen to your body and you cannot control it. I hate that feeling!! But the purpose of my story is that...If your diabetic make sure that you have the following things with you 24/7...

a) A juice box ( in various parts of the house) you never know where you can go low.

b) Candy- You might want to buy lifesavers or jolly ranchers. I used to buy chocolates but I nnoticed they would only last a week. :(

c) Glucose tablets- This is really important, buy a few packs and place them in your purse, diabetic kit, car, desk etc.

d) If you can afford a mini fridge..get one for your room. You can store food for yourself in the fridge so you don't injure yourself coming down the stairs.

e) I have created a mini diabetic kit for myself that I carry with me everywhere. My sexy little kit includes...

-1 insulin pen (I got 2 extra ones from my pharmacy, esp. since they are free)
-Insulin supplies- Needles, insulin
-1 Meter-( I have more than one, since you can get a free meter if you usually buy 100 strips, I have 3 meters of the same model so I can buy one box of 100 strips and disperse them)
-1 juice box
-1 ziplock bag of: candy, glucose tablets
-sugar packets
-granola bar
- Last but not least: Important numbers : GP, ENDO, Pharmacy, diabetes clinic, emergency contact information etc.
- I also created a small about me list which includes my blood type= O positive!, Type 1 diabetic, name of insulin and the units I usually take.
- One thing that I need to buy is a glucagon shot which is a shot that brings your blood sugar up immediately.


I just want to point out one thing which is obvious...no one is going to care as much about your health then you would. With that being said, don't be dependent on anyone, yeah we have this condition and we must live with it and do our best to try to take care of ourselves. I know there are days where I just want to give up when seeing the high numbers and that is okay. the most importnat thing to do is to hop back on the wagon and keep trying ...the harder you work...the luckier you get...:)

1 comment:

Bernard said...

Rizzy

Sorry to hear about your low.

I've recently moved to only using smarties. They taste better than the Glucose tabs and are less expensive. Each package is about 5g. of carbs and it's mostly dextrose so it's fast acting.